Wednesday 19 January 2011

Day 123 Turkey 19/1/2011, Antalya. Some shopping and a rubbish boat trip.

Convinced that I must have missed the outdoor clothing shop last time I went to the shopping mall, I decided to have another look. It could be said that this was really just an excuse for a short ride and something to do. This time I found the shop, but they didn't have what I wanted. Still, as my route was mainly along a cycle path it was quite a pleasant ride out.

Walking down by the harbour, I got approached by one of the many touts attempting to get you to take a boat trip. Although not that interested, as there isn't that much to see, I stopped to look at his brochure. The brochure was full of pictures of waterfalls, caves and big resort hotels. I can't really see how a large, faceless, concrete, resort hotel is much of a sight but perhaps some people like them.

While the tout was telling me the price 10TL (£4) for a 45 minute trip, I was fortunate to see some Turkish locals get on board and hand over 4TL (£1.60). The tout looked a little embarrassed quickly accepted my 4TL and I got on board.

For the next 15 minutes we headed out of the harbour, past a waterfall that you could see from the city, possibly a cave and the wrecked ship that you could also see from the city. The shipwreck is of note though, due to the large painted sign on the cabin that says 'Safety First'! After 15 minutes we reached a small fishing boat, delivered some supplies to them and then turned round and went back to shore. A round trip of 30 minutes, if you include 15 minutes sitting on the boat going nowhere, then I suppose it was a 45 minute trip!

MattDebs0831UKtoZA MattDebs0832UKtoZA

MattDebs0833UKtoZA

I have no idea what the other foreigners paid for their trip, but there were a few disgruntled people getting off. I was tempted to wait and see if the tout got lynched, but considering what I had paid, there wasn't much point in complaining. If nothing else, it was worth it just to see the harbour from a different angle.

There is a longer boat trip to the Lower Düden waterfall, which I have been on before. If you get a meal included on the trip it is probably worth doing, although as it involves the boat backing in towards the waterfall, I would leave it until the summer time.


No comments:

Post a Comment