Saturday 15 January 2011

Day 119 Turkey 15/1/2011, Antalya. A bit more failed shopping and a couple of Efes.

After limited success yesterday at finding a new fleece, I decided to give it another go today. Mainly it was just an excuse for something to do and the chance to explore a bit more of the city.

My excursion out, didn't unfortunately go terribly well. Every shop I went in to, the staff seemed to think that I required a personal shopper. In one store the girl was so close that I turned round to look at something and promptly walked in to her. At the very least if they are going to stand that close they could ask me to dance!

Giving up on the clothes I went into a supermarket to get some supplies and then had to fight to hold my position in the queue. Turkish school children seem to be under the impression that queues don't apply to them. I wouldn't mind so much, but it got to the stage that they were actually physically trying to push me out of the way. Not sure what the correct etiquette in Turkey is, I felt it prudent not to give one of them a smack round the back of the head, no matter how much I wanted to.

When two child beggars then singled me out on the street and proceeded to try and get there hands in my pockets, I decided it was time to give up and go back to the hotel.

If Ram hadn't knocked on the door later that evening, I would probably have stayed there until morning.

In our quest for cheap beer, we wandered into the main part of the city and had a drink in a bar where the more you ordered the cheaper it got. This would have been fine, but neither of us actually wanted more than a glass. Mind you, any more shopping experiences like today and I may be found sitting at a table with a 2.5 litre beer dispenser in front of me.

1 comment: