Saturday 10 September 2011

Day 312 Malawi 10/09/2011, Ndindeya motel, Zomba. Rugby, resting and a nice dinner.

Breakfast unsurprisingly was chips, egg and bread, which wasn't served with what you could call a smile. In fact I would go so far as to say that the restaurant/bar staff were somewhat abrupt this morning. This wasn't a good start as I had planned to persuade them to put the rugby on in the bar for me, as our executive room's TV didn't seem to want to work. After asking at reception, they got our television working and then explained that there is only one satellite decoder so everyone watches what is on in the bar. The manager(?) assured me that I could have the rugby on, so we went to change channels in the bar. Unfortunately the bar staff didn't seem to understand that someone was watching sport and kept changing the channel. As to why I never found out, as every time I went to ask to change it back, no one was watching the TV. It turned out to be a bit of a frustrating experience which wasn't a disaster as the England match wasn't on until 10:30am.

With Debs content to do her own thing, I headed off to Dominoes bar and restaurant where our Lonely Planet guidebook had said they show sport on their big screen TV. I had no idea whether they would be showing the rugby, but it had to be a better option than the hotel. The bar staff at Dominoes were very accommodating even if I had to find the correct channel myself, which would have been easier if the decoder was in the same room as the TV. Eventually I found the rugby and sat down to watch on the somewhat less than big screen. It wasn't a classic match and a couple of the other customers kept trying to ask me about my religious views, but in the end the result was a pleasing one. I believe I now have a week off before I have to find another television!

Back at the hotel Debs had had a relaxing time reading, emailing, and eating quite a lot of salad. We didn't venture out again until late afternoon when we went to 'Tasty Bites' restaurant for a nice dinner. It seems to be the food place of choice to the local western population and pretty good it was to. Walking back to the hotel in the dark was a bit of an experience. Not because of any concern about muggers, but because of the possibility of falling down one of the many holes that fill the streets. It makes me wonder how many people who claim to have been mugged, have actually fallen down a hole and lost their wallets on the way back from a bar and are just too embarrassed to admit it!

We have another hilly road to contend with tomorrow, when we head to Blantyre our last main stop in Malawi. It may also be the last day into the wind as our remaining days will be spent heading north and then west towards Mozambique, so fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment