Sunday 14 November 2010

Day 56 Hungary 13/11/2010 Kalocsa–Baja. 28.59miles/47.07km, 3hr06minutes, Av 9.1mph quite a bit of pushing was involved!

Drama! Last night I discovered that I had lost one of my credit cards, fortunately not my main account one though. Retracing my steps proved fruitless so I will have to get it cancelled. To make matters more annoying I had used it for the first time yesterday at a nearby ATM. Being Saturday the bank was closed so it may have been handed in, I just couldn't find out. Oh well at least I didn't lose a bike!

Today was our shortest day for a while. We left Kalocsa along the main road and then turned off to rejoin the Danube route. Unfortunately that turn, off the main road, led to a track. That track then led to a swamp, or at least that's what it resembled. Approx 1km of pushing the bikes through mud wasn't the ideal start to the day. Rather amazingly having thought that I had taken us down the wrong road, it turned out that we were on the one marked on the map. Getting back onto the cycle path came as something of a relief, even if it was an unsealed road.

Our old friend the headwind was back although not as strong as yesterday. A supposedly short easy day was rapidly becoming tougher than it should be. For the next 30kms we headed more or less in a straight line south, until we reached Baja.

By the time we got into the town the temperature had risen dramatically and Debs spotted a sign that read 26°C, in November?!

The town was blessed with hotels, so the task of finding somewhere to stay didn't look too arduous. They did all look quite expensive though. Trying the nearest to us the 'Kaiser Hotel' I found reception closed, not a good start as it was about 1pm. Pressing the intercom outside and having to revert to my entirely exhaustible German, I was told to wait 5 minutes. Not sure what I was waiting for I was shortly greeted by a slightly mad German/Hungarian on a bicycle. Still not sure what was happening, he beckoned us to follow him and we set off on a chase through the town and ended up in another hotel with the same name.

It turned out that he was the owner of both hotels and the family were celebrating his sons 19th Birthday (possibly? it may have been his ninth!). For some reason this hotel was better than the other one, or maybe there was a better place to leave the bikes. Either way we had to have a glass of Vodka with him and we then checked into a lovely room. Which was rather more expensive than we had planned. Never mind it is our last night in Hungary, may as well go out in style!

I got my card cancelled so no harm done, just have to arrange to get the replacement sent out to me. The question is where?

No comments:

Post a Comment